Tuesday, December 5, 2017

Retire, Definitely Retire!

Playing Gloomhaven is kind of like watching an amazing TV show or reading a gripping book series that none of your friends have read.  You really want to talk to them about all of the plot twists and characters and evil villains, but you can't!  Sure, they might not watch the show or read the books, but they might and you don't want to spoil it for them.  And if they DO watch it sometime, they'll HATE you for spoiling it!  Prime example - I'm reading Harry Potter right now.  I've never read them and I have no idea about the plot twists and endings (I've been under a rock).  If someone ruined it for me now, I'd die!

Last night was a momentous night in Gloomhaven.  I won't spoil anything that isn't mentioned in the rule book or in the starting characters, but it was a doozy!

First of all, I magnificently kicked the butt of my current scenario.  I won't give anything away, but there was an enemy who was very hard to kill.  One of my characters used a combination of skills to double their attack and take out this enemy with one shot.  Woohoo!

After the scenario was completed, a domino effect of amazing discoveries took place.  First of all, a character was retired.  He had completed his personal quest and finished his time in Gloomhaven.  When you retire your first character, you get to open the town records.  Had to take the seal off and open them for the first time ever!  

Also, by fulfilling the personal quest of this character, I was told to open another sealed storage device (box or envelope, you'll never know until you play it yourself).  And yes, yes, yes!  Opening up new stuff is awesome!  It adds to the story, it adds to the choices, it adds to everything!  As much as I will miss this retired character, his retirement allowed me to open some amazing stuff!  Even now, the only reason that I am writing about Gloomhaven and not playing it is because I am at work and I can't set up my game here (it would be very tough to teach fourth graders while playing, I imagine).

Completing this scenario also pushed my reputation past +10 which (if you've read the rule book, you know) allows you to open a new character box.  I won't give anything away, even though I desperately want to (I made my wife listen to me go on and on about it last night), but it was so worth being at +10 reputation.  I'll try to leave it there.

Gloomhaven continues to hold me captive.  I occasionally think about other games, but what's the point?  I have so much story and content to unlock and play through here.  Not to mention the mechanics of the game are so enjoyable and interesting.  I love the initiative and two card aspect of the actions.  If the enemies do something unexpected, you have a little bit of choice you have with your two cards still.

I am not ready to retire from Gloomhaven yet!

No comments:

Post a Comment