Tuesday, October 10, 2017

Crashin' the Boards

In the last two and a half years my collection has continued to grow, I've continued to learn about the hobby (is there a better word than hobby?), and I've done some posting of reviews and playthroughs on boardgamegeek. My brother-in-law Logan (you'll learn about him soon enough) and I decided to put our thoughts and ideas in a blog.

Hello there and welcome to our little board game haven! My name is Theo and I am one of the creators of this blog. I've been married for six years and have two kids; a four year old and a one year old. I am an elementary school teacher and feel that I have about the same maturity level as the students I teach.

My family was always into games growing up. We'd play lots of the Crainium acting/guessing games at holidays. There were some epic international battles playing Axis and Allies and Risk with my older brother. I'll also add that there were quite a few Monopoly boards flipped back in the day, and it was usually done by yours truly. In my teenage years a friend of mine and his family introduced me to Settlers of Catan. I mostly just sat and watched this family explode around me as they pouted, whined, kept track of who traded with them, yelled, and stormed out of the room. It was very exciting. Especially when I won. During our dating, engaged, and now married years, my wife and I would play some light games with our friends. We liked Bohnanza especially, but BANG! was another favourite.
Then in March of 2015 I bought my own copy of BANG! along with Gears of War: The Board Game. I managed to snag Gears of War (I was a fan of the video games) for half price online right before it went out of print. From that moment on, I was hooked on modern board games. Gears of War had everything I wanted.  It was cooperative so it didn't cause me to flip the table on anyone and I could play it solo so I didn't need video games anymore.

The title of this blog came from the many important "boards" in my life: white boards (I'm a teacher), backboards (I love basketball), and game boards (I hope this one is obvious). It also works out well with Logan and I because even though we love to game together, we have quite different tastes. I'm mostly a cooperative gamer who often plays solo and I prefer thematic (or Ameritrash) games over Euro games.

That's a little bit about me and my relationship with board games. I hope you stick around and have fun with us.

No comments:

Post a Comment